I can hardly believe summer is almost over. Back to school is just around the corner and even though you may still be harvesting tomatoes and squash, it is time to start thinking about replanting your vegetable garden with cool season favorites such as lettuce, English peas and broccoli.
Fall is an ideal time to grow vegetables that thrive in cool temperatures.
Below is a list of 10 plants for your fall vegetable garden. These are cool season plants, meaning they will tolerate a light frost, thrive in short daylight hours and perform best with mild temperatures. Some vegetables even taste better when nipped by a light frost.
1. Broccoli - Broccoli seedlings should be planted 10 weeks before the first frost date in your area.
2. Brussels Sprouts – Brussels sprouts are ideal for fall gardens because they really taste best when allowed to mature in cool weather.
3. Cabbage – Plant seedlings 6 to 8 weeks before the first frost.
4. Cauliflower - Plant seedlings 6 to 8 weeks before the first frost. Cauliflower can be tricky to grow. Rich soil and consistent watering are the keys.
5. Kohlrabi - Kohlrabi is a member of cabbage family, but it looks and tastes similar to a turnip.
6. Lettuce – Sow seeds in late summer. Provide the seedlings with consistent moisture and shade from the afternoon sun.
7. Mustard Greens – Sow seeds 6 weeks before the first frost.
8. Radish – Sow seeds for radishes 4 weeks before the first frost.
9. Rutabaga – Sow seeds 12 weeks before the first frost.
10. Spinach – Sow seeds 5 weeks before first frost date. The short days and cool, moist weather of fall is even better for spinach than spring. An established spinach crop will last well into winter and can survive temperatures down into the 20s.
Another thing to keep in mind when planting fall vegetables is that the seedlings need plenty of moisture. So keep them well watered until fall rains begin. Also, many of the leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale are heavy feeders so be generous with the fertilizer.
Author:Cari Schwisow Phone: 360-878-5401 Dated: August 14th 2011 Views: 1,386 About Cari: I am pleased to be with RE/MAX Professionals, a highly respected and innovative real estate firm in ...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
RE/MAX Professionals real estate brokerages employ full time, highly productive, experienced and educated brokers focused on serving their real estate clients and communities at the highest possible level to create the best possible result...even in these rapidly changing times and economy. We provide accurate, detailed information, data and advice so that our clients make informed decisions. We're committed to life long relationships founded in integrity and mutual respect. We're here to help...at all stages in all situations.
Approaching bad weather always produces a run on certain items. Incomi
""01/06/2015 - Reviewing Vicki McLellan, [email protected] Bought a Single Family home in 2014 for approximately $250K in Olympia, WA. Local knowledge: Five Stars Process expertise: Five Stars Responsiveness: Five Stars Negotiation skills: Five Stars Buying our first and second homes with Vicki were wonderful experiences. She has an APPARENT wealth of knowledge from her experience and was extremely proactive and diligent in helping us navigate the home buying process (one of which was a tedious short sale). I've also referred several friends to Vicki who all ended up buying with her help and they had nothing but good things to say. if you need an excellent, patient and pleasant realtor then you need Vicki.""